As part of the Healthy Worcestershire Programme, a new £50,000 funding package has been launched to empower local organisations to help tackle loneliness and social isolation.
Loneliness and social isolation are big concerns. Research shows that loneliness and isolation is more than just a feeling, it affects all aspects of your health and can even contribute towards an early death. They can affect anyone of any age and any background.
The new fund sits alongside an existing programme of work, including The Stay Connected pledge, creative health projects delivered through the county’s arts development work and the new Healthy Worcestershire Programme. In support of the Tackling Loneliness Partnership, the fund’s aims are to help prevent loneliness, strengthen our communities, and improve people’s lives.
The Stay Connected Community Grant invites community-based organisations to apply for funding between £250 and £2,500 to create or expand activities that support people who may be experiencing loneliness and / or social isolation, through a variety of opportunities.
Applications will be welcome from lots of projects. For example, funding may go towards a new or existing…
- Community café to provide a lunch and learn club, where people can gain new arts and crafts skills and have a social-get-together
- Local dance group that would like to expand to encourage young carers to join, so they can meet up with friends
- Computer group for older adults, where customers bring their own IT device and get help to learn how to use it
- Local running club or exercise group opening to new beginners’
- Single or new parent support group, to increase availability
Applications will be accepted from third sector (not-for-profit) organisations. This includes community or voluntary groups, registered charities, constituted groups and social enterprises. Organisation must:
- Have an annual turnover of £100,000 or below and a bank account in the name of the organisation applying (cannot be a personal account)
To apply, organisations need to complete an online application form which will be considered by a panel against the funding criteria. Alternative format copies will be available for those unable to access online.
The application, with full details and the funding criteria, is available on the Worcestershire County Council website – The Stay Connected Community Grant
To request an alternative format or further information please contact the Public Health Team at email@example.com.